Before taking my weekend trip to Interlaken, I knew there were other Swiss towns nearby I wanted to be sure to see. I had read a lot about Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen and decided I would take a day trip to both. I’m so happy I included this in my weekend itinerary. Both towns were charming and covered with the snow. I felt like I was walking through a winter wonderland… Swiss alps addition. A lot of people visit these towns in the wintertime for skiing and snowboarding. I was more interested in the short hikes and taking in the incredible views. Grindelwald was a thirty minute train ride from Interlaken. After spending a few hours in Grindelwald, I took another train to Lauterbrunnen which took another thirty minutes. Lastly, the train from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken was the shortest, only fifteen minutes. Both of these towns were easy to see in one day from Interlaken.
Grindelwald Things to do:
- Take the cable car to First and walk along the cliff walk once you make it to the top.
- Hike from First to Lake Bachalpsee. Unfortunately since it was so snowy I wasn’t able to make this entire hike, but in the warmer weather it looks like a beautiful hike! Since I wasn’t able to take the hike, my friend and I just walked as far as we could and it was equally as beautiful to me.
- The cable car ride from town to First is 60 CHF and so worth it! The ride on the cable car is about twenty minutes and offers some incredible views all the way up. On the way up, it’s a bit crowded but on the way down, my friend and I had the cable car to ourselves!
- I suggest bringing a packed lunch or snacks when visiting Grindelwald especially if you plan to spend a lot of time in the alps. While on First, there was two little food stations with mostly warm drinks. My friend and I brought along food we picked up at the grocery store before leaving Interlaken and ate at a picnic table outside one of the food stations.
Lauterbrunnen Things to Do:
- Walk along the trials. There are several paths you can walk. My friend and I just kept walking on the road from the center of town and it took us pretty far on a path with gorgeous views.
- Take pictures of the church. The town’s church is a popular photo because of the stunning view behind it. There are many different angles to get the perfect shot.
- If you’re visiting Lauterbrunnen in the wintertime, we found that there were a lot of paths closed due to ice and falling rocks. I suggest walking along the main road, it takes you pretty far.
- Try one of the many cafes in town. There were so many cozy coffee shops along the main road, all with a view of the Main Street and the mountains in the background.